What is Esthetic and Cosmetic Dentistry ?
With some simple changes, a masterpiece of a smile can be created with cosmetic dentistry.
The following procedures are adopted to examine the situation and to decide the possible treatment :- The first step is a thorough examination, where in x-rays will be taken. Possible alternatives can then be discussed. The following are a list of possible procedures used by us to achieve the desired result
- Polishing: Polishing is the simplest method used to get rid of stains on teeth, the origin of which may be excessive drinking of tea or coffee, or smoking, etc. The first step to treat stained teeth is a professional cleaning to remove tartar and calculus. The teeth are then polished with a brush or rubber cup in conjunction with a polishing paste.
- Esthetic Recontouring: Esthetic Recontouring is reshaping the front teeth to give a more pleasing appearance.This procedure can be used to correct jagged, chipped or slightly uneven teeth.
- Bleaching: Bleaching is a relatively recent method to eliminate unattractive dark colours from teeth. It is a highly effective method of whitening teeth. What makes bleaching work is a strong oxidizing agent. This procedure is simple and safe. A customized tray is fabricated for the application of gentle whitening agents at home.
- Bonding: Bonding was the technique that gave birth to the branch of aesthetic and cosmetic dentistry. It is suitable for correct broken, decayed or badly shaped teeth, but is not as durable as veneers. It is a constantly evolving innovation in modern dentistry. It basically involves adding a composite material to the existing tooth structure to cover stains, build-up lost tooth structure, or fill decayed teeth. The advantages are the good colour matching achieved as well as the conservative nature of the treatment. The procedure derives its name from the fact that the composite material is chemically bonded to tooth.
- Lamination: Laminating a tooth with Ceramic Veneers offers a dramatic transformation in mal-aligned, broken, discoloured or badly shaped teeth. A thin shell of a ceramic material is fabricated and then chemically bonded onto your existing tooth to act as a laminate. The main advantage is the strength and beauty of ceramic. Minor crowding and spacing can also be corrected, but they are not recommended in cases of severe crowding or malocclusion. The results can usually be achieved within a week. This technique requires less reduction of healthy tooth structure than full crowns, and the result can be equally long lasting. A skilled practitioner can make a tremendous difference in your appearance.
- Crowns & Bridges: Crowns & Bridges are an alternative to veneers when the teeth are badly broken down, and are also used when posterior teeth have to be built-up or replaced. It is a long-lasting solution and requires shaping the tooth and then covering the remains with a laboratory fabricated crown.
- Periodontal Sculpture: Periodontal Sculpture or gum sculpture is the art of performing plastic surgery on gums and bones to achieve a more pleasing contour of the gums and an overall beautified look
- Smile, It increases your face value!